Sunday, February 06, 2011

Gaming for 2011

Life after GW mainstream gaming has proven to be quite liberating.
I am not dissing the system, the company - this is not a bash.
Its just been so.... exciting to be expereinceing all these other games.
Heres my list for 2011 gaming that I want to start or drag out of mothballs.

Infinity - The game Combat Patrol/Kill Team wished it was, and indeed, so did we all
The ARO system makes game more action orientated, more interactive, and means you can truely set and spring traps and ambushes.
The miniatures are beautiful. Period. Even the ones I am not personally enamoured with, I will never question the detail, quality of sculpt and cast, or the dynamics of their posing.
But I have spoken of all this already, so Ill leave it be for now.


Malifaux - Flipping clever! (pun very much intended)
As stated earlier, I played a Demo and loved every moment. The models are the same high quality in all regards as those of Corvus Belli's Inifinty, but with a characture style to it.
The rules are alot more intuiaive than you would think from looking the cards and rules - the symbols become a second language very quickly, and once you have the whole neagtive/postive flip superposition thing clear in your head, play flows like any dice based game.

Firestorm - Need a fleet!
Whilst no one minds me using my Forgeworld Tau Battlefleet/Aeronautica models (they look awesome, if a little small) I would prefr a proper fleet, and I have a Sorylian Morningstar class Carrier already built and painted, waiting for a fleet to tend.
The rules are mostly simple (Wing-fu aside) and the models are nice chunky hunks of space based death dealing joy, so I want to support the system properly by buying a proper fleet.

Bloodbowl - Block, Dodge, Frenzy, Go for It - these words are like poetry to my ears.
Been FAR too many years since I last played. I used to run a Chaos and a Skaven team, but they have long since been misplaced. Currently I have a Norse team, complete with Werewolves and a Werewolf Yeti, standing by to play. With my average Joes team ready, I would like to rebuild a Skaven team as my fast agile team (I will never play elves - too much love lost), and then something big and builky, but not Chaos again- maybe Ogres... But it would be great to have a summer league for four weeks, or just a one off tournament - paid entry, 3 rounds, trophies for top places etc.

Necromunda - Goliaorks for da win!
Yes, I did-  a whole goliath gang based on ork models. Normally Goliath gangs are renowned for being rather poor, but I got really lucky and ended up with a Goliath Gang with 3 GREAT shots who coeverd their advance into combat. One guy was hitting on 3s against hard covered targets! But there was a lack of rule books which mnired things, so once a few more interested parties stump up for a book, we can start a new campaign.

Dystopia - Mechs, Walkers, Robotic Squids... You had me at Mechs!
What to say really! Even Epic didn't have any naval forces. The models are freash, the rules are clear and easy and fun, and the wealth of factions means that when combined with the use of Air, Sea and Land units, there will be near endless combinations! But I wil hold off until we have Land and Air battle groups released,as I would rather buy for all three theartres of war at once and field combined arms armies from Battle 1.

Hordes - Legion and Circle - apparebntly thats sickeningly filthy... Meh!
My love affair with Weerwolves and Monstrosities continues. Im looking forward to Rage now for my next big hit, although Hexhunters, Anyssa Ryval and Black Frost Shard are on the wish list. Plus, No Quarter Magazine is a FAR better read than White Dwarf has become. But there has been a complication....

Warmachine - Khador are stuck in my head
The imagery of a Winter Guard army refuses to leave me, so this July will see me finally take the plunge and turncoat from Fury to Focus, after 18 months moaning about it! This will coincide nicely with the relase of Warpath, meaning there is likely a Gun Carriage or Battle Mechnik Officer in my near future.

Warhammer Quest - nothing more need be said
GW - get your arse in gear and re-release it would you! I want more bad guys, board pieces, and to store my current copy for posterity (I earnt it for helping a mate fix a PC - true story)

Magic the Gathering - 5th time and counting
Its easy to dabble in, even easier to accrue loads of useless cards.
I am gonna dabble in this, which is helped by the fact I keep a collection of a dozen decks so Im not always starting from scratch, but its a sideline - something easy to play when little elseis going on.

Sadly, it appears Avatars of War are highly unlikely to be releasing V2 any time soon, so I am writing them off the list. I have enough to keep me going anyway, and I am still having a go at writing my own games:
  • Deep Space, Deep Trouble - a fun loving and fiesty mongrel of Space Hulk, Resident Evil, Doom and Aliens.
  • Mass Effect 2 based Dungeon Crawler - its not to followw the stpry line, but more to allow you to take Mass Effect 2 class style characters and fight against Blue Sun, Vorcha, Collectors and more, but with Warhammer Quest style character progression and armour/weapon customisation. This just wont work. However, the Mass Effect 2 classes would make for an intruiging army in Inifinity, whose ARO is perfect for such tactical decision based models, and already has biotic and tech style rules in place.
  • A gladiatorial game system with eras - same rule set, but you can choose to do it with classic D&D type, mythical style, futuristic like characters. Warhammer Quest is dead, and maybe it insane t pine for it, but there I believe there is a place for such a game. The mission is to design a system that works for both an arena game and a dungeon crawler game.
Thats alot for one year, and Ive laredy lost one month.. Best get to it.

Coming soon - Morat Troops pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment